On 05/06/2009 12:01 PM, Nathan Lane wrote:
> As an update, I don't see that any keyboard shortcuts are set to Alt+E
> in my keyboard shortcuts default list. Naturally because the Edit menu
> has the mnemonic E and Alt refers directly to the menu system in Windows
> (I don't know what OS you are using), I expect Alt+E to open the Edit
> menu. In the Edit menu, I do see that three items have P underlined, but
> Alt+P does not affect them, and both Paste and Paste As sub items have
> their keyboard shortcuts. Preferences does not have a keyboard shortcut
> listed next to it, but I can just as easily use my arrow buttons or
> mouse to open that item. I don't understand the complaint fully.
>
> 2009/5/6 Nathan Lane <nathamberl...@gmail.com
> <mailto:nathamberl...@gmail.com>>
>
>     Uhm, you can change your "mnemonics" or keyboard shortcuts Edit >
>     Preferences > Interface > Configure Keyboard Shortcuts... and just
>     take care of it for yourself. There's not really a reason for that
>     to be a bug when it's fully configurable.
>
>     2009/5/6 Jernej Simončič <jernej.listso...@ena.si
>     <mailto:jernej.listso...@ena.si>>
>
>         On Tue, 05 May 2009 18:36:00 -0700, bgw wrote:
>
>         > In my system, ALT E followed by a letter seems to select an
>         entry whose
>         > first character is that letter:
>         > Paste, Paste as, and Preferences.
>
>         IMHO, this should count as a bug - mnemonics should be unique,
>         and every
>         item should have a mnemonic (which isn't necessarily the first
>         letter).
>
>         --
>         < Jernej Simon+AQ0-i+AQ0- ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

Nathan,

1) Edit, Preferences does have a mnemonic of p (the p is underlined).
While not a "keyboard shortcut", it is in the category of a productivity
enhancer because one goal is to avoid having to use a mouse.  Mice just
slow down most things -- and cause health problems.

2) The problem is that
"ALT+e p"   (hold ALT while typing e, then type a p by itself)

    results in ONE of THREE different things happening depending upon
whether or not you have done that action previously or not (it cycles
through the three possibilities) in that session of editing that image.

The way that this is supposed to work is that one should be able to do
such actions *without looking* at the monitor to see what the status is.
In other words, one should be able to type

   "ALT+e p"

and *every* time get the exact same result without regard to whether or
not you have done that action previously in that session of editing that
image.  Have to look & watch & be careful is not productive and causes
lots of errors.

3) As to your comment that because you can configure something to
correct undesired behavior it is not a bug... I do *not* accept that.
That would be like saying though a program crashes without special
configuration, if you do some special configuration it won't crash, thus
the crashing is not a bug.  While my comparison is extreme, I
respectfully submit that this "not a bug because..." approach to
thinking about it is a *huge* reason why non-technical folks find so
much open-source software to be "not ready for the desktop".  We, who
are interested in moving forward the spread of open-source software,
should be paying very close attention to the ORDINARY USER EXPERIENCE
and we should be doing everything we can to make things work extremely
smoothly right out of the box.  We should not "dumb down" software, but
we sure should try everything possible to make it work smoothly and in
an expected, repeatable manner.  Just my opinion!

Jay