DJ writes:
> Yes and no. There is also the Patterns Dialog (see more below).
[ lots more info about where to view your GIMP patterns,
  but not on how to import these particular patterns. ]

The problem in this case may be that a lot of those patterns on
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/02/12/the-ultimate-collection-of-free-photoshop-patterns/
aren't GIMP compatible. For instance, I tried the "animal prints" one,
http://redheadstock.deviantart.com/art/Animal-Prints-PS-Patterns-37342057
and although it supposedly includes 18 patterns, I got a zip file
that expanded to just one file, SS-animalprints-patterns.pat.
If I put that file in ~/.gimp-2.6/patterns/ it's ignored, and if I
try to open the file in GIMP I get "GIMP pattern plug-in could
not open image".  I get the same for the brick textures pattern.

Has GIMP's support of PS patterns changed?  The animal print page
says it should be compatible with GIMP 2.2.6+.

        ...Akkana