Alec Burgess writes:
> To get them created individually it looks like [Filters-Animation-Save
> Layers] does the trick. If renumbering make sure to include enough ~'s
> to cover total number of pattern files being written and specify an
> extension] eg:
> "<path-to-patterns-subfolder>/devart_PS_pats_~~~.pat" (If insufficient
> ~'s in the file-spec an error is generated.
> This is "script-fu-save-anim-layers" by Saul Goode 3/11/2008 - not sure
> if it "came-with" GAP or I got it somewhere else?
>
> Ok ... this "sort-of" worked :-(
[ ... ]
> Any suggestions as to how to get the job finished? ie. each layer needs
> to be cropped I think.
> I guess this needs a new script or tweaks to Saul Goode's
> "script-fu-save-anim-layers" but unfortunately I have zero ability in
> that area.

Okay, done. I started with save-anim-layers, but then during the
course of simplifying it to deal only with patterns I ended up
rewriting pretty much the whole thing.

http://shallowsky.com/software/gimp/save-pat-layers.scm

It still registers in Animation, as "Save layers as patterns".
Animation isn't the right place for it but it wasn't obvious
what would be better. Any thoughts?

Start with the original multi-layer image and run Animation->
Save layers as patterns, and it will save each of the layers
to your GIMP profile patterns directory with the appropriate
layer name. I've only tested it on one pattern (the animal one)
but it seems to work.

It does change the original image -- the layers stay autocropped,
I didn't bother to try to revert them since I figure most people
will just be closing that image anyway.

I'll put it on the registry after I get feedback on whether
it's working okay for anyone besides myself. I'd especially like
to hear whether it works on Windows, since it builds up paths with
"/" (which I think script-fu is supposed to translate automatically).

        ...Akkana