On 01/22/2010 10:44 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>> On 1/22/10, Jay Smith wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>
> It has been said by GIMP developers in public several times that
> tutorials at gimp.org are out of date and need reworking. There is no
> problem accepting the fact, see? There is a problem of people not
> having spare time to work on that. It's really *that* simple. There's
> no conspiracy.
>
> Alexandre

I'm breaking this out into a new thread.

In a couple of his responses Alexandre said:

"but GIMP documentation is a single-source effort that isn't well
supported by current wiki engines."

and

"There is a problem of people not having spare time to work on [updating
documentation]".

Alexandre's second point can be solved by a Wiki.  A Wiki would allow
and encourage more people to become involved.

However, I am ignorant of exactly what the input / output requirements
of the "single-source effort" are exactly.  If possible, can somebody
point me to a reference which describes how the documentation
project/work itself is being done and what the inputs/outputs are and
where they live?

For example, are the docs such as
http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-concepts-usage.html
buried inside Gimp itself as comments (as some programs do)?

For example, are the multiple languages offered here
http://docs.gimp.org/
all maintained in single multi-language "documents" or database records
(for each respective topic page)?  And how are they kept in sync and
annotated as to what new/changed/removed text needs translating, etc.

Sorry if this is a newbie kind of question, but I have not previously
run into a discussion of it.

I agree that Wikis are _not_ good at:
- Multi-language versions maintenance of the "same" subject page
- Output to print
- Output to structured documents
- Databases as Wikis (but I don't think that applies here, but it is a
    subject of extreme interest to me if anybody else is interested)

Jay