I'm guessing that there are very few people who know how to use
every feature of GIMP.  And probably even fewer that actually
use every feature of GIMP in whatever task they do.

You can learn what you need to do with a little work and not
a lot of time once you get the idea of layers and channels sorted
out.  That would be the first thing to figure out IMHO.

Then just learn what you need to do as you need to do it.