[mailed and posted]

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Bill Lee wrote:

> What IS the format? How could I use the thumbnails in other ways?
> I would like a thumbnail to be availabale for use on a web page. I know I could
> probably gin up a method using convert or some-such, but since the full-size
> images are always being processed with gimp, it would save a bunch of
> time/effort to be able to use the thumbnails directly.

I don't have an answer for your question directly, but I use gphoto to
create thumbnail galleries.  gphoto is designed mostly for getting images
out of digital camaras, but will also work with them out of a directory on
the file system.  So I use the GIMP to touch up my photos, put those ready
for the web in a directory and then use gphoto to get a gallery with

Jeffrey Goldberg
I have recently moved, see http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/contact.html