Let me tell you the trouble I had with the gimp and calendars:

variable width fonts

I suggest that you generate it with something else, I used LaTeX and
then get it from that ps file, or whatever.  cal makes nice calendars
because it is limited to only fixed width fonts.

Maybe someone knows how to get the fixed width fonts to the gimp, but
Typesetting like that isn't really what the gimp does.