I mostly recommended WordPress because, as a PHP/MySQL application,
it's the most similar to the previous Drupal solution. And Drupal and
Joomla are a lot more painful to work with. I do think WordPress could
do just about everything we want for the registry if you install the
right plugins, but if we decide to write some of our own plugins,
WordPress's beautiful simplicity and usability start to go back down.
After working with WordPress for a couple years, my personal preference
is definitely more in favor of using static site generators, but I
don't know if that'd work so well for the plugin registry. Instead,
what we might do is just maintain a list of descriptions and links to
the various GIMP plugin repositories on GitHub or wherever they are
being developed... This would certainly be the simplest way -- the
registry wouldn't even need to be a separate repository or website.
However, that would also isolate the users of each plugin from each
other, so it would be harder to try getting help from the larger GIMP
community.
I'm just spit-balling here.
Otherwise, for a dynamic web server and friendly web UI, using more
focused software would probably be a better solution, I just don't know
so much about administrating them. Discourse is definitely high-
quality, functional, beautiful forum software. They apparently even
have converters for other forums <http://www.discourse.org/faq/#switch>
which is nice. I don't know about versioning for user file uploads,
though -- I can't find anything that says Discourse supports such a
thing. Perhaps, unless someone finds an even better solution, plugin
developers could just update the original post where they first
announced and released their GIMP plugins? Or, users could still
download plugins from the git repo, but developers are encouraged to
provide support/discussion on the GIMP Discourse site.
~Andrew