From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf Of
Peter Murray-Rust
Sent: 13 July 2012 09:54
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Subject: [GOAL] Re: Chemistry and the Green Door

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Kiley, Robert
<r.ki...@wellcome.ac.uk<mailto:r.ki...@wellcome.ac.uk>> wrote:

Peter

These 1059 articles were deposited via the ACS "open choice" option.

Thanks - This is (I believe) hybrid Gold - author pays for MS to be "Open" in
some definition of the term (but not yet CC-BY)

There will be other ACS papers, funded by NIH authors, which are in PMC but
were not routed through the "open choice" route.  These papers will be made
available after 12 months, and will not have re-use permissions.  These papers
are what NIH call "public access".

By way of example this article published in Organic Letters is an NIH author
manuscript.   http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3253247  This article
would NOT have been included in the 1059 figure quoted above.

Thanks for the example.

Again, to interpret:
* This is mandated by NIH. NIH-funded Authors must publish their work openly.
The ACS complies with extreme reluctance, fighting all the way. The only reason
it works is because the US government has more power than the ACS (and they
have been taking this approach for some time). They get very high compliance
because the government is their employer and US government institutions (I am
visiting a national lab next week) have huge investment in bureaucracy. They
will lose their jobs if they don't comply.

Can you confirm that there are no Green full text manuscripts in PMC?

Wellcome (and some other funders) are taking a similar approach. Their hold is
weaker, but still strong - non-compliance will lead to loss of future grants
and possible forfeiture of final grant payments. As I said I support this. It's
harder than the NIH employee scheme because (a) many Wellcome papers are
multi-institution and (b) the formal hold ends at the end of the grant (and
many publications are post-grant) and (c) it needs investment in policing.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics

This message has been scanned for viruses by Websense Hosted Email Security -
www.websense.com