If you want a very quick to put together dress the polonaise by Past
Patterns is very easy,

http://www.pastpatterns.com/904.html

Last time I made it was afetr coming home Saturday night from Arisia
and I needed soemthing to wear for a panel the next morning--whipped
up in a jiffy. I've also altered the pattern and cut it at the waist
into a basque waist for a bodice, and made the overskirt as a separate
over skirt.

Katy

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM,  <annbw...@aol.com> wrote:

> Okay, folks, I may be getting a Steampunk urge, since a big event is right up
> the road in May. I long ago wanted to do an 1870s bustle style and this seems
> like a good opportunity. My question is, what pattern(s) do you all recommend
> for an 1870s era bustle day outfit? I'm thinking bodice with high neck and
> 3/4 sleeves and underskirt with draped overskirt. I do have the skill to make
> some minor changes to a pattern-could certainly modify the sleeve, for
> instance--but want something that I wouldn't need to do a lot to, as time is
> of the essence. Also not stuck on 100% authentic to the period--that is one
> of the appeals of Steampunk!
>
> I was hoping the Big Two had something that I could just pick up at the
> fabric store and run with, but I didn't see anything suitable there.
>
> Ann Wass

Katy Bishop, Vintage Victorian
katybisho...@gmail.com                www.VintageVictorian.com
     Custom reproduction gowns of the Victorian Era.
      Publisher of the Vintage Dress Series books.