From: j m g <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: The Hardware List <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Subject: Re: [H] Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. et al. v. Grokster, Ltd.,et al.
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 13:52:43 -0400

Then how come none of the bittorrent, RIAA, etc lawsuits are charging
anyone with stealing?

They are charged with copyright infringement. It can not be technically called theft in a courtroom because you are not stealing a boxed copy from a store or downloading and then removing the master or source code. In the real world, it is obvious theft of the author's livelyhood (no matter how rich or poor, good or evil).

And I'd argue that the injustice occurs on the public's right to copy...

No argument here. Look it's really simple folks - I am pro-property and pro-privacy. I really do not understand why I am in the minority here. A person should be able to do whatever he damn well feels like with a purchased media copy within the confines of his home. Make copies, reverse engineer, modify, whatever. It's your privacy, its your property, it's your right. However you need to also understand the author/distributor's work is also their property and their means of making a living. Their work deserves the same amount of protection from theft and exploitation that a purchaser of that work has. Is there anybody here w