Well I'm new to coding so forgive if I'm wrong but I found some
information that said a derived class is a class that inherits from a
base class?

well if so the pickup inhherits from CItem, CItem in turn inherits from
2 classes namely: public CBaseAnimating, public CDefaultPlayerPickupVPhysics

so that should mean it's derived from CBaseAnimating or am I wrong now?

also found some functions related to animating in the dynamic prop
class, may be able to use it.