I myself have been tinkering with that too, no matter what I did I
couldn't seem to change the playbackrate either,
I was instead trying to totally freeze a animation though,
the reply I got was:

----
Stopping SetCycle() from being called in C_BaseViewModel::Interpolate()
should freeze the view model animation.
----

Don't know if that even works since I haven't tried it, but maybe you should
try it and then try to change the m_flPlaybackRate? probably not of much help
but you never know :)