Eric said there would be PR to inform players about the new tab.
Eric said there would be some UI changes that would supposedly make it
easier for players to find custom servers.

Is this going to happen before I'm forced to shut down my servers?

A quick look at the custom tab servers and oh, a majority of the servers are
empty.

Valve, once again, I think it would be beneficial to both players and server
ops (who by the way, are the blood of your game) to list all servers in ONE
list, while having the additional filter options available to players if
they want to filter servers.

Then there will be no need to babysit the list and look for naughty servers
who put themselves in the wrong list, players that want vanilla can easily
find vanilla, and everybody else can easily find servers.

Also, by forcing servers to the custom tab if they have any tags, you
basically eliminate the use of sv_tags for any servers. What if a server op
wanted to add their host, or location, or any other misc data about their
servers in the tags to make it easier for players to find their servers?

If they do that, they might as well shut down their server.

I remember valve saying that the tags system was done and did not need any
beta testing...

- voogru.