Okay, so ive been looking in to this issue further.

Here are some thoughts:

According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms740532(VS.85).aspx
under Windows Vista/Win2K8, setsockopt() will fail with WSAEINVAL (instead
of WSAENOPROTOOPT) when the option is not supported - which is the case with
every version of Windows.

1) Valve (if you're reading this) is it possible that you gracefully ignore
the WSAENOPROTOOPT for Windows, but don't do the same for WSAEINVAL when
calling this function with unsupported flags?

2) KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946886 suggests a similar
error can occur when "When there is a third-party legacy TDI filter driver
installed on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows
Vista, the system receives error code WSAEADDRINUSE (10048) when the system
tries to bind the socket for the first time. When the system tries to bind
the socket for the second time, it receives error code WSAEINVAL (10022).".

This does not appear to be the case with us (we do not have a third-party
legacy TDI driver). So we can rule this out I think.

3) The KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819124 suggests the
error code can be raised when:
* "An invalid argument (for example, an argument that specified an invalid
level) was supplied to the setsockopt (Wsapiref_94aa.asp) function."
-> Which is possibly what is happening as per Point #1

* "Sometimes, it also refers to the current state of the sockets, for
example, calling accept (Wsapiref_13aq.asp) on a socket that is not
listening."
-> If this was a problem, surely this would be occurring on Windows Server
2003 (and XP, etc) as well, but its not - so I think I can rule this out.

This leads me to believe that the problem described in Point #1 is the most
likely cause, otherwise I have no idea.

Cheers,
Andrew