I run 375-400 people on a 2 x Quad Xeon's 2.66. If I turned on his res timer
I would be in the 200 range I have done a lot of testing on this when I
first setup. On and off you can't tell in game but the CPU hit is insane!

-----Original Message-----
From: Nephyrin Zey [mailto:nephy...@doublezen.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:18 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list
Cc: Mike Stiehm
Subject: Re: [hlds] Changes in Dedicated Server Capacity After Updates

I haven't extensively tested non-hires kernels or stable lower FPS
configurations, but I wouldn't think so; It allows you to set dynamic
tic and very low kernel resolution without getting wildly inaccurate
sleeps. Without hi res timers, sleep can only wakeup as fast as the
kernel resolution, meaning you'd need 1000hz to get the high fps
everyone craves so much. If you hook the sleep() events on the main loop
and make the engine sleep more/longer, you dont get much CPU savings for
the performance hit. (see: windows boosted vs non-boosted). You're just
generating 1000hz interupts when they're not necessary, rather than
simply sleeping as desired and waking up as desired, generally using tsc
or hpet. I'll add it to my experimentation list though