Int *p = 0;
*p = 1;

Boom.

-----Original Message-----
From: hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Jesse Molina
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2014 6:12 AM
To: csgo_serv...@list.valvesoftware.com; Half-Life dedicated Linux server
mailing list; Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list
Subject: [hlds] Need help crashing my own server on purpose

Hi everyone

I am testing a crash recovery system on my srcds control system, and I need
a way to purposefully and reliably seize up my server.  I don't want it to
exit; that's easy to do.  I want it to seize up, like a spinlock.

FYI, doing "cast_ray" on the console causes a nice segfault, "7068
Segmentation fault", exit code 139.

The "killserver" command is close. It is like a "quit", but the server
doesn't exit. Seems like part of the engine is shutting down, but I suspect
it might be possible to start it back up again since it's still taking
commands on the console.

I can do some external stuff, like hitting memory, attaching gdb, etc, but
I'd like to know of an internal command that causes some spectacular CPU
usage.  Something that only a kill -9 is going to fix.

This can be on any of TF2, CSS, CSGO, L4D1/2, HLDM, or FoF.

Any advice would be appreciated.