If private server operators are a dying breed due to Quickplay etc. and
they are still needed and valued by the broader Team Fortress 2 community,
then where’s the community outcry? I think most people realise that the
average Team Fortress 2 player doesn’t care about the plight of privately
run servers. Also, I find it a little cute that Robert would cite Minecraft
as being indicative that privately run servers aren’t outdated. Not only is
it a completely different game and genre, but it’s also a game that doesn’t
have official servers. Team Fortress 2 on the other hand does have official
servers, which does change things somewhat, only a fool would suggest
otherwise.

Now, I’m not against community servers, they have added value in the past
by virtue of being the only option for Team Fortress 2 players at the time.
Thankfully, there are more options now, specifically official servers. And
need I remind everyone that it was the behaviour of a number of community
operators that led to Valve setting official servers only as the default
option – A default setting which in line with other Valve games, I might
add, official server defaults are hardly a new thing for Valve or any other
developer with a distinguishment between ranked/unranked or
official/unofficial servers.

Finally, I would note that even if bad servers weren’t a thing in terms of
Quickplay and master server browser abuses, private server operators would
still find themselves being treated like second class citizens because
Valve wants to be in control of their player’s experience from store to
server – Which makes complete business sense. Further, I would suggest that
Valve would still be pushing down the path of contracts, Mann Up and lobby
matchmaking to official servers (Which are the only servers Valve can
guarantee to be mod free) irrespective of the bad eggs within the private
server operator pool. Given, before it was about keeping bad eggs out. Now
it’s about Valve trying to provide players with new content, in the only
secure manner that they can – Hosting the servers by themselves. Some
people seem to forget the value of the Team Fortress 2 economy and as to
why Valve would need to exclude private server operators from economy
affecting actions.