Juliusz Chroboczek <j...@pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:
    >> slowly I've gotten to understand the numerous layer-2 and layer-3
    >> savings by not having to have the whole DHCPv4 relay and broadcast
    >> processing occuring.

    > Could you please explain that?  Perhaps with some examples, or even
    > actual empirical data?

I'm not a large scale residential ISP, and I've never played one on TV, but
I've operated niche ISPs since 1991,  and recently installed a few medium
sized business oriented DSL, Fiber and GPONs.  GPONs are odd.

I refer you to the sunset4 mailing list archives, but let me see what I recall.

1) Let's start with PPPoE/DSL
   No DHCPv4 server for IPv4, it's all done in PPP.
   So you'd have to have a DHCP server somehow, or a new PPP option.

2) Cable/FTTH using ethernet-type things.
   You need code (silicon actually, at FTTH speeds) to police DHCP traffic
   coming from each customer to make sure that they aren't running a rogue
   DHCPv4 server.
   That's something you can get rid of if you aren't running v4.
   You need to have DHCPv4 relay agents in each of your cable head ends,
   and they need to add option-82 to indicate where things are coming from.

   You'd like to turn off layer-2 broadcasts (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff) because
   there is just a huge amount of noise coming from the customer machines,
   but you can't just do that because the DHCPv4 uses that, and you've
   got multiple layers of fiber backhauled cable modem.
   There is a significant ARP load on the network from every single box
   where 0.0.0.0/0->"eth0" because the network isn't configured yet.
   (Every single directly connected windows box does this, and some distros
   of Linux do this. I was surprised to learn it's allowed...)

   The broadcasts have actually forced you to subnet your IPv4 down into
   rather small pieces to contain it, and this has lead to uneven
   provisioning of IPv4 address space, and you've effectively run out.
   (Also see the history behind ARIN
   https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2012_7.html and
   http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/2012-96.htm might also be relevant)

   If you could turn off broadcasts, you could forward just the multicast you
   need (DHCPv6, RA..) which would significantly help reduce the MAC address
   load on much layer-2 equipment.  Moreso, it's pretty much all P2MP
   traffic, so perhaps a much simpler layer-2 forwarding system could be
   used. (I don't have such a thing; legacy layer-3 assumptions wouldn't let
   anyone create such a thing yet)

And again: if it's too hard, don't implement it (certainly not in open
source, for free), thousands of devices will never get updated to have it
anyway.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-