On Tuesday, 10 July 2018 at  8:10:08 -0700, Albert Szostkiewicz wrote:
> Personally I am interested in stitching 360 full, true HDR images. I
> am hoping to stitch and get as much of original data as I can. With
> PtGui for eg. I am able to throw my Canon RAWs directly and proper
> exposure merge is being applied.

You can be sure that PTGui is simply converting the raw images to some
RGB format, possibly TIFF.  It sounds like you're not being left much
choice in the matter.

> With Hugin I am forced to use 3rd party apps for conversion into
> TIFF or other format witch adds one more step of possible mistake.

And more control.  Others may correct me, but I'd be surprised if
PTGui is performing the raw conversion itself.  Probably it's invoking
a different program.

> As much as I wish to stay with Linux (which is my main operating
> system) and Hougin Open software, currently I am forced to run PtGui
> via wine to do my job as expected.

Note that the Unix (and thus Linux) way is to have multiple programs,
each able to perform one function and perform it well.  It looks like
you're looking for the opposite.

> It streamlines simple work that has to be done without requirement
> of 3rd party software in the process.

It still requires mouse pushing.  If you're looking for automatic raw
conversions, you can do that too with UFRaw, which has a batch mode.
Read in your images, run ufraw-batch on them to produce TIFF output
files, and you're ready to go.

Just checked https://www.ptgui.com/features.html: yes, PTGui uses
dcraw to convert the images.  That's the same program that's behind
UFRaw.  The difference with Linux is that you have a choice of raw
conversion tools, and that's one of the main reasons for using raw
images in the first place.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.