On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:16:10 +0900, Timothy Sipples
<timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>snip
>Yes, I'm sure IBM support people want to close PMRs as quickly as they can.
>But (in general) that's only because they want to resolve the actual
>problem(s) quickly, because both speed and quality count. How quickly
>problems are resolved strongly correlates with customer satisfaction, too.
>If you don't want a PMR closed, though, don't close it. (And, if you do
>close one, there's a lot of time available to reopen it if you need.)
>Customer service is much "art," not just science, and it takes a lot of
>time and effort to teach that.
>
>Speaking only for myself.

I'll speak for myself also
I have been working for so many years in IBM support center that I should
know very well how it works and what Barbara is describing is exactly what
is happening.
The useless lev1 lev2 lev3 delay is the same in every country in Europe
because the level 2 is cross country.
The ping pong game of PMR requeue is existing everywhere
As for statistics , I have seen one of the Tivoli brand manager complaining
because we had taken 4 hours to debug, find, write and provide a ++zap on a
sev1 problem in OPC
The guy was from PC department and did not even know what a mainframe is
Problem was that it was forbidden to spend more than one hour on a Tivoli PMR .
and our PMR had killed the Tivoli statistics for the month ( he did not know
that OPC had been branded TIVOLI the previous month )
I could tell you horror stories about labs in west coast and east coast
trying to
let the other one take an APAR ( IOS and Catalog comes to mind as a
spectacular one )
I just saw lately a change in DAE behaviour ( in 1.10 I think) that is
intended to release consequences of millions of DAE entries
I had this problem 5 years ago and apar was refused .
Customer do not necessarily have the time to fight for an apar and they give
up in order to save time.
Support is sometimes good , it is sometimes bad ... but what's for sure , it
is declining because of statistics and sometimes skills of some people but
very rarely because of the will of individuals.
IIRC Barbara was also in level 2 so she "knows"

Bruno Sugliani
zxnetconsult(at)free(dot)fr
http://zxnetconsult.free.fr