'Sysprog' is unfortunately an ambiguous term.  There are those who
build software for ISVs or, of course, IBM; and there are those who
keep a z/OS shop running.

As a part of an attempt to help in the selection of a new manager for
a systems programming group in a European insurance company I recently
spent 3 half days, one of them with each of three of the latter.  They
installed things; did maintenance using SMP/E, etc., etc.  They did
damn little testing, escept in the sense that the systematic
correction of errors in their own work is testing.

Moreover, it became clear that none of them knew or could know enough
about all of the components they were working with to test them
independently.  (They were competent people, but they were not
polymaths.)  This melancholy conclusion led me to the notion that IVPs
and MVPs, most of them necessarily supplied by vendors, needed to be
widely available.

These people have other needs too.  They seem, for example, to have
very little sense of the ways in which notionally very different kinds
of IBM systems are almost all much alike in some ways.  They cannot
make plausible, often (but not of course always) confirmed inferences
about how things work using this kind of knowledge.  Moreover, I am
not sure I know how to communicate/teach these skills outside of
essentially one-on-one, apprenticeship situations.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA