>From an old IBM Apar
At times, a SWITCH command fails to occur within a large amount
of time.  This problem is usually seen when type19 records are
being collected.  This is due to the fact that SMF issues the
LSPACE macro for every online device when information for
SMFtype19 records is being gathered.  LSPACE then causes an ENQ
to be issued against each device.  If an ENQ cannot be
satisfied, LSPACE processing will wait.  Depending on what the
device is active for, the ENQ may take quite a while and the
SWITCH (I) command cannot complete.

Next, take a console dump of the SMF address space

Then issue a D GRS,C  command

Let us know what you see.

Lizette