On 10/9/2012 8:16 AM, John Eells wrote:
Edward Jaffe wrote:
<snip>
Oh, and did I mention that this is done on a LIVE system? We have no
time or personnel to 'clone' systems, switch between res packs, etc. for
regular maintenance.

OK, Ed, I gotta say it:  Tick...tick...tick...

LOL! Did you read that we have been doing it this way for 15 years? We idle a system, run the APPLY, and then re-IPL immediately afterwards. What could be simpler? It's not unlike what Windows Update does to my PC every few weeks.

In the rare event that the system won't IPL, we use other systems sharing the same DASD to solve the problem e.g., update a parmlib or proclib member, rebuild the IPL bootstrap, RESTORE or APPLY a PTF, etc. Thus far (knock on wood) such issues have been only occasional, minor inconveniences. Of course, full volume DASD backups are available should it ever come to that.

Did you attend Ed Webb's SHARE presentation in Anaheim? I'm not sure how long they've been applying service to live systems, but his abstract says he has 40 years of experience so he's not a noob. It was a popular session. If you missed it, I believe the MVS Core Technologies Project is planning a repeat for SHARE in San Francisco in February.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc