For a native German speaker, it is always remarkable that in the English language there are often two words for the same thing. One from the "indo-german" or "anglo-saxon" language origin, and the other from latin. Like here, with "animal" and "deer". I didn't know about the old meaning of deer as a synonym for animal, but this fits perfectly in this pattern.

At the moment when there is another word for the generalization, like "animal", then the old
world "deer" can be used for a special meaning.

But this is also difficult for non-native english speakers, because sometimes there might be slight differences in the meaning of two words which have the same translation, and we cannot understand that. Also, words that sound the same as in our native language possible have a very different meaning. One example comes to mind: "eventually" means "in the end" in english, but in Germany it says "may be". That's what we call "false friends" - words that
you think you understand, but in fact you don't.

Kind regards

Bernd