In my first shop we did a conversion from OS/VS1 straight to MVS/XA (IBM made
us an offer we couldn't refuse).  This was a little before CBIPO so first had
to lay down a starter system that was some flavor of MVS/370 or /SP.  I say
that because it ran under our VM/SP (actually HPO) system.  Before we could
start working on the MVS/XA system itself we had to install VM/XA which was in
the process of being invented.  The very first VM/XA for customers was VM/XA
Migration Aid, followed as quickly as possible by VM/XA System Facility release
1 which was in turn followed about 6 months later by release 2.  My boss and I
knew all the VM/XA level 2 people by their first names.  We definitely 'got' to
do the stage 1 and stage 2 MVS gens once we got that far.

Looking back on it is fondly nostalgic but it was a constant pain at the time -
but, boy oh boy, did we learn things!  Good times.  I don't think this helps
the original poster much, but it did bring back memories

Jim Horne