From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Brian France [b...@psu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 4:11 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: does anyone recall any details about MVS/XA?

I kinda remember MVS/XA and later ESA being CBIPO and CBPDO for maint.

SYSGEN I think was still needed for XA and maybe ESA.

I'm not sure what you meant by Optional Source Materials. If by that you
meant optional source code to install, I think they went the microsloth
bloat ware option later...

On 12/8/2020 4:00 PM, Joe Monk wrote:
> i  thought MVS/XA was CBIPO?
>
> Joe
>
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 2:04 PM Mark S Waterbury <
> 000001c3f560aac1-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi, all,
>>
>> Does anyone recall how MVS/XA was first distributed and installed?  e.g.
>> was there some kind of  a "starter system"?  If so, what was it? MVS 3.8J,
>> or MVS/SE or MVS/SP or what?
>>
>> I seem to recall that someone told me that there was no longer any
>> "SYSGEN" process used to install MVS/XA?  So, how was this task
>> accomplished?
>>
>> Also, does anyone recall whether IBM made available any "optional source
>> materials" for MVS/XA, either machine readable, on magnetic tape, or was
>> that only available on microfiche, if it was available at all?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any details anyone can provide.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Mark S. Waterbury

Brian W. France
Systems Administrator (Mainframe)
Pennsylvania State University
Penn State IT - Infrastructure/SYSARC
Rm 25 Shields Bldg., University Park, Pa. 16802
814-863-4739
b...@psu.edu

There's no such thing as The Cloud - it's just someone else's computer...

"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

Carl Sagan