From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Pommier, Rex
Sent: 08 December 2020 22:30
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: does anyone recall any details about MVS/XA? [EXTERNAL]

Paul,

Thank you for that memory jog.  Yep, it was MVS/Express.  It was a stand-alone
restore tape of MVS/XA (ours was 2.1.7) that once restored was an IPLable XA
system - and reasonably current on maintenance.

Fun time was going to a class for MVS newbies and using the MVS/express tape.
8 of us trying to restore stand-alone tapes on top of a VM 4381.  Watching the
tape turn ever-so-slowly trying to load MVS.

So when we initially brought up XA 2.1.7, it was the express tape which was the
starter system soon followed by a CBIPO tape to load down a more current set of
software and yes, there was a SYSGEN in the middle of the CBIPO install process.

Those are old, rusty memories.

Rex