IMO, most "investors" today have more the mind set of a gambler than a true
investor (long term profit). They want a fast payback, with a nice
adrenaline or endorphin jolt for a "financial high".

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 10:16 AM, John Gilmore <jwgli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I suspect that IBM has two, related problems.
>
> Like all companies of its sort it is expected to show significant
> earnings-per-share growth from quarter to quarter.  When it does not
> its share price suffers, and it feels strong pressure to restore
> earnings growth.
>
> It has addressed this problem using 1) share buybacks, which reduce
> the denominator in earnings-per-share calculations, and 2) expense
> cuts, which in the short term raise the earnings numerator in the same
> calculations.
>
> If the new mainframe models that are shortly to appear raise IBM
> revenues significantly the climate for significant mainframe-related
> software investments within the company will probably improve, at
> least in the short term, as it has in the past.
>
> Anything more is not very likely.  Very short-term thinking is now the
> norm in the financial community; and IBM's senior management is aware
> that it is, among other things, a bouc émissaire available for
> sacrifice/replacement if that will make important outsiders feel
> better about the company.  (Target's replacement of its CEO, announced
> in this morning's Times, will propitiate "the analysts" in the short
> term; but iit does not do much to address Target's real problems.)
>
> John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA

There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown