On 2014-05-06 08:30, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

> This is a question that has been on my mind for some time now while perusing
> consistent message seems to be that mainframe development resources are very
> constrained, so only the most important/most useful/most justified projects
> (FSVO most) can be undertaken.  (E.G., "functional stability" for the TSO and
> ISPF and Rexx components, among many others.)

This turns a blind eye on the truth that the march of history
imposes new requirements in areas that the developers would like
to believe "functionally stabilized".  For example:

o SUBMIT still imposes a FIXED 80 restriction, ignoring that both
  JES2 and JES3 liberated themselves from this restriction several
  years ago.

o DDLIST gives incorrect results in a member search of a mixed
  concatenation of UNIX and PDS directories.

o ISPF LMINIT is incompatible with UNIX files/directories.

o DDLIST limits its display to 80 columns with an absurd 24-column
  scrolling area, regardless that wider terminals are prevalent.

o FTP JESLRECL is limited to 254, an archaic and irrelevant limit.

Etc.

-- gil