On 12 October 2016 at 13:56, Kirk Wolf <k...@dovetail.com> wrote:
> You are correct: you don't need an LE environment to use the BPXxxxx kernel
> service calls.

Indeed. I do it from non-LE assembler all the time.

> REXX doesn't have/use an LE environment AFAIK. I don't know
> much about the System REXX environment, but I would assume kernel service
> calls would work fine.   The REXX SYSCALL environment uses these, so I'm
> not sure why it wouldn't work.

I think the problem will come if there's a question of file access
permissions. For that the kernel has to ask RACF/ACF2/TSS, and that
requires a userid, which may not always be present, or may not have a
UNIX UID, GID, etc. Depends on how it's invoked, I think.

Tony H.