Very little software comes with guarantees of "do no harm."

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2016 10:18 AM
Subject: Re: ABO Automatic Binary Optimizer

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 12:39:30 -0400, Tony Harminc wrote:
>... But the ABO product is certainly not just translating individual
>old instructions into newer ones. Rather, it is surely identifying
>COBOL paradigms based on some kind of pattern matching, and then
>retranslating those COBOLy things into modern machine code.
If ABO is guaranteed (we don't know that) not to impair the semantics of any
machine code, even not generated by COBOL, then the worst it can do is to pass
machine code unmodified.  But sometimes part of that code might match a COBOL
cliché and be optimized.

send email to with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN