Hi List, just putting in my 2 cents here:

>What I was actually suggesting is seeing if you could
>get your client to *not* send if you turn off
>SMTP Auth in your client. If you are still able to send
>to outside addresses when SMTP Auth is turned off
>on your client, then for whatever reason your Imail is
>not requiring SMTP Auth - proof positive.

It appears that for 8.01 SMTP Auth does NOT have to be turned on at the
client, yet Imail is still performing authorization (perhaps using the POP3
connection which is usually established before any SMTP connections?).

When I first noticed this, I went into a panic thinking I had an open
relay - but all tests prove that I don't. I do find it odd that Imail 8.01
appears to behave this way, I wonder if it's a bug. You can do some open
relay testing on your server at:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~remmie/relay/
http://www.abuse.net/relay.html

Manuel




______________________________________________________________________
The HKSI-IMail Admin List is hosted by........ Humankind Systems, Inc.
Questions, Comments or Complain like Hell.. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Message Archive............ http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To Manage your Subscription......... http://humankindsystems.com/lists

Reply via email to