On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:32 AM, D L <dlm...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, well here's an update. I just let the foreign keys run for a little over
> a full day and it actually completed for mysql:
> # TIME FINAL : 1883min, 1sec (wall) 23min, 57sec (user) 0min, 5sec (system)

I see.
I've just run it with a subset of the db (1% taken from each file) and
my numbers are:
# TIME TOTAL TIME TO INSERT/WRITE DATA : 12min, 18sec (wall) 5min,
23sec (user) 0min, 43sec (system)
building database indexes (this may take a while)
# TIME createIndexes() : 1min, 25sec (wall) 0min, 0sec (user) 0min,
0sec (system)
adding foreign keys (this may take a while)
# TIME createForeignKeys() : 10min, 2sec (wall) 0min, 0sec (user)
0min, 0sec (system)
RESTORING imdbIDs values for movies... DONE! (restored 0 entries out of 0)
# TIME restore movies : 0min, 0sec (wall) 0min, 0sec (user) 0min, 0sec (system)
RESTORING imdbIDs values for people... DONE! (restored 0 entries out of 0)
# TIME restore people : 0min, 0sec (wall) 0min, 0sec (user) 0min, 0sec (system)
RESTORING imdbIDs values for characters... DONE! (restored 0 entries out of 0)
# TIME restore characters : 0min, 0sec (wall) 0min, 0sec (user) 0min,
0sec (system)
RESTORING imdbIDs values for companies... DONE! (restored 0 entries out of 0)
# TIME restore companies : 0min, 0sec (wall) 0min, 0sec (user) 0min,
0sec (system)
# TIME FINAL : 23min, 45sec (wall) 5min, 23sec (user) 0min, 43sec (system)

What kind of CPU/RAM/disk have you used?

> One of my main questions  right now is the difference in results between the
> web search and the sql search. For example, if I ran a search on all the
> movies that Denzel Washington has acted in via the web search, it basically
> outputs all  the main ones,

Yep, they are just grouped in a different way.
It would be not easy for us (even if it's not impossible, I guess) to identify
alle the various categories used on the web and the rules used to categorize
the movies, but...

For the moment, I think you could take the whole filmography and search
for tv series and/or movies in which an actor is playing Himself (or anything
that starts with Himself/Herself/Themselves)

> And I haven't tested it that much, but it appears that sqlite and mysql have
> roughly the same speeds in running these queries, but I'm not completely
> sure yet.

I expect them to be comparable in speed, but not to be slower than a
web search. :-/

--
Davide Alberani <davide.alber...@gmail.com>  [PGP KeyID: 0x465BFD47]
http://www.mimante.net/