The more extensions enabled by default, the more extensions many developers
can count on being in common builds. Part of PHP's success is the extension
system and the variety of tools it gives the user-base. It is also a nice
peace of mind for library developers to be fairly sure the typical php build
has X ext.

Is their a particular reason you are against giving users such a variety of
tools? If performance or binary size I would be interested in
stats/benchmarks. I have done some testing in the past when we disabled all
extensions we did not use at a previous employer to squeeze some performance
out and the benefit was non-existent.

-Chris