Pierre Joye wrote:
ISP, good or bad, enables what we enable. You can see that in the
extension usage statistic (from nexen.net). They have to be taken with
a bit of salt but they represent a good way to see what actually
happens out there. I heard solutions like "educating the ISPs" and
seriously that's a sweet dream and may not reflect their needs.

An extension not enabled by default is often not used for this exact
reason: it is not enabled by default. So my thoughts are really
simple, unless disable-all is used, enable everything possible as long
as the deps are found (or if there is no dep).

As a maintainer of a distributed open source PHP application, I concur with this 1000 fold. If it is not enabled by default, we can not use it in Phorum. We have found that only extensions that the PHP configure includes by default are available on 99% of ISP's servers out there. So, if json is not on by default, for example, we can't use it.

--

Brian Moon
Senior Web Engineer