On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 18:01 +0200, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Ferenc Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >> I issue the same command a couple of times, which keeps failing, then
> >> succeeds.  1.8.1 doesn't have this problem, it reliably authenticates
> >> all the time.
> >
> > Just like 1.8.8.  So it was the 1.8.8 -> 1.8.9 transition which
> > slightly broke the authentication.  I'll have a look at the CVS log
> > and the ChangeLog, but thought I can share this piece of information.
>
> Now it looks like the commit 'use select() instead of alarm signal for
> receive timeout' was the culprit.  Checking out the 1.8.8 version of
> src/plugins/lan/lan.{c,h} into the 1.8.9 tree results is a stably
> working ipmitool; going one revision further with those two files
> introduces the instability.  Unfortunately, that's not a particularly
> simple commit.

Hi Feri,

Thank you very much for your feedback and testing.  We'll need to get
this issue fixed for the next roll of ipmitool.  The patch you mention
appears to be one that Duncan committed on 5/17/06.  He also mentions in
a 7/06 mail committing someone else's SOL bug fix patch after getting
rid of the "legacy" alarm interface and replacing it with select().  I'm
not sure what the original motivation was to change to select() -- does
anyone on the list remember/know why Duncan originally made this change
(other than select just being nicer)?

I haven't looked into this issue yet, but offhand I don't understand why
select() is causing an issue whereas the alarm() interface seems to work
ok.  It seems like we need to understand what's ultimately going wrong
to make sure we properly fix it. If anyone can shed some light on what
could be going on here, please do. :-)

Regarding Steffan's patch, are you finished your SOL testing of it with
the 1.8.9 code and have you declared it ready to go into the CVS tree?
If so, please let me know and I'll be happy to add it in.  :-)

Thanks much again for your all your help,

Carol