My trial on Arduino layout
http://sites.google.com/site/funlw65/electronics/jaluino-pinguino-28-pins-starting-bo/freejalduino

On Jul 26, 12:43 pm, Sebastien Lelong <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's a new schematic for Jaluino Medium board:18F4550 is replaced by
> smaller 18F2550, so the PCB layout is expected to be easier, helping focus
> on schematic rather than layout issues. I've recently received a couple of
> them, so I'll be able to prototype few things.
>
> I tried to include Albert's suggestions, hoping it's correct now... Power
> supply can be from USB or external, selected using a jumper.
>
> Any comments ?
>
> Cheers,
> Seb
>
> 2009/7/26 Sebastien Lelong <[email protected]>
>
>
>
> > Hi Albert,
>
> > And many thanks for this ! For now, I think I'll go with solution B, which
> > is the one I understand the most...
>
> > Seb
>
> > 2009/7/25 a.faber <[email protected]>
>
> > Hi Seb,
> >> Attached 4 possible solutions
>
> >> Solution A: Almost the current solution, except added a bypass diode
> >> across
> >> the 7805, so it won't blow up if there is USB 5V and not external 9v
> >> Solution B: Current solution, except make power selection via a jumper
> >> selection (less user friendly, no voltage drop)
> >> Solution C: Auto power selection via 2 schottky diodes (drawback, voltage
> >> drop of ~0.3v)
> >> Soltionn D: Auto power selection with self power dominance (drawback,
> >> voltage drop of ~0.3v)
>
> >> General remarks:
> >> D6, D7, D10, D11 in my schematic does not have to be a schottky type if
> >> the
> >> external supply is > ~8V
> >> L1,L2,L3,L4 (ferrite bead, or power choke), not realy required, but
> >> recommended
>
> >> Albert
>
> >> ----- Original Message -----
> >> From: "Sebastien Lelong" <[email protected]>
> >> To: <[email protected]>
> >> Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2009 12:42 PM
> >> Subject: [jallib] Re: jaluino (first schematic... Richard ?)
>
> >> Hi Albert,
>
> >> I tried to do some research, but I'm lost, this is far beyond my
> >> understanding and I can't figure out how to deal with self-power USB... I
> >> need your help, would you mind giving me an example of self-powered USB
> >> vs.
> >> not self-power USB ? Your 18F14K50 PIC is self-power isn't ? I can't see
> >> the
> >> difference with my schematic...
>
> >> Also, I've found something about using a shottky diode to select +5V from
> >> regulator or +5V from USB (see picture, part of schematic from an Arduino
> >> board). Is that what you were talking about ?
>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Seb
>
> >> 2009/7/23 [email protected] <[email protected]>
>
> >> > Hi Seb,
> >> > Some comments on the schematic:
>
> >> > In the current schematic the 5V and USB-5V are connected, this is not
> >> > according to spec,
> >> > see also the datasheet about USB self-powering. Either way, use a
> >> > jumper selection for the
> >> > power supply or use some shottky diodes, in addition it might be wise
> >> > to place a by-pass diode
> >> > across the 7805, since these devices don't like to be reversed
> >> > powered.
>
> >> > Why R1? I think you can remove it, since the reset pin is held high
> >> > via  R5/D2
>
> >> > Be sure to put a 100n bypass close to VSS/VDD pins of the PIC, I don't
> >> > know if C2 is the PIC bypass cap, if so I would
> >> > draw it closely to the PIC VSS/VDD pins
>
> >> > BTW, the 18f14k50 board is working fine
>
> >> > Albert
>
> >> > On Jul 22, 9:37 pm, Sebastien Lelong <[email protected]>
> >> > wrote:
> >> > > Some more thoughts about Jaluino (next guy who talk about math lib,
> >> can
> >> > you
> >> > > modify the subject plz ?)...
>
> >> > > The connector's layout is very important, as all shields will have to
> >> be
> >> > > compatible, and will reproduce this layout.
> >> > > For instance, Arduino diecimila has 4 connectors:
>
> >> > >   - 2 on on this upper side
> >> > >   - 2 on the bottom side, 1 being reserved to power
>
> >> > > Arduino mega uses a much bigger AVR than Diecimila. They put a double
> >> > > row
> >> > > connector, on the right side. Still, the four previous connectors are
> >> on
> >> > the
> >> > > same place. As a consequence, shield for Diecimila can be used with
> >> > > Mega.
>
> >> > > I'd like to reproduce the same. If we build first Jaluino board,
> >> > > 18F2550,
> >> > it
> >> > > could have the same connectors as in Arduino (2 on upper side, 2 on
> >> > bottom
> >> > > side). Next step is a 18F4550 based board. We could add a single row
> >> > > connector on the right. In the future, if we decide an even bigger
> >> PIC,
> >> > > we'll be able to double this left connector.
>
> >> > > That said, I still can't produce a PCB, I'm having a lot of trouble
> >> > placing
> >> > > parts to avoid vias... Any PCB guru here ?
>
> >> > > PS: as a bonus (...) here's my last schematic, with connectors.
>
> >> > > Cheers,
> >> > > Seb
>
> >> > > 2009/7/21 Sebastien Lelong <[email protected]>
>
> >> > > > First try to get a PCB layout gives way too much vias. This is where
> >> I
> >> > > > spend days to get a decent PCB...
>
> >> > > > Seb
>
> >> > > > 2009/7/21 funlw65 <[email protected]>:
>
> >> > > > > On Jul 21, 7:49 pm, Sebastien Lelong <[email protected]>
> >> > > > > wrote:
> >> > > > >> I think this assumes the peripheral on the other side (eg. a PC)
> >> > > > understands
> >> > > > >> RS232 level between 0 and 5V, instead of -12V and +12V. It's
> >> > sometime
> >> > > > the
> >> > > > >> case, and to be sure, using a MAX232 chip is better. That said,
> >> > > > >> with
> >> > the
> >> > > > >> "plug your own serial module" option, you can choose whatever you
> >> > want.
> >> > > > This
> >> > > > >> gives a fourth option, a the cheap side, so we new have:
>
> >> > > > >>   - FTDI chip based USB-to-serial adaptor
> >> > > > >>   - 18F14K50 based USB-to-serial adaptor
> >> > > > >>   - MAX232 based, with DB9 connector
> >> > > > >>   - resistor based, with DB9 connector
> >> > > > >>   - (and last option: "my own way to deal with serial")
>
> >> > > > > Ok, not on board, but I thought they can be disabled by jumpers,
> >> and
> >> > > > > can be a fast solution to test the software but yes, is not a good
> >> > > > > ideea.
>
> >> > > > >> Some more thoughts about the board. Original Arduino Diecimila
> >> uses
> >> > a
> >> > > > >> Atmega168, a 28-pins chip.
> >> > > > >> See:http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDiecimila. From this,
> >> 20
> >> > pins
> >> > > > >> are "exported" through connectors on sides, where 2 pin are
> >> > dedicated to
> >> > > > >> RX/TX, thus involved in board's functionality (I mean there
> >> aren't
> >> > > > >> completely free, as they are involved in serial).
>
> >> > > > > I don't know, maybe others have more ideas. First, I looked at
> >> > > > > ATmega168 pins, to see some similarities at ports level but I
> >> think
> >> > > > > the key is at software level. And is the only level where Pinguino
> >> > > > > offers Arduino compatibility (and maybe the reason why the author
> >> > > > > didn't offered a shielded variant).
> >> > > > > For "reusing" Arduino shields, I think a study must be done.
> >> > > > > Studying
> >> > > > > different shields with their software to see how interact with the
> >> > > > > board. In what manner are used digital pins, etc. ... Because I
> >> > > > > don't
> >> > > > > think they take in account very much the particularities of the
> >> chip
> >> > > > > himself (I think the software is hiding the hardware).
> >> > > > > Maybe is too much work but a shielded board is a must, even if not
> >> > > > > Arduino compatible. This is jallib team decision, and I hope a
> >> good
> >> > > > > board will increase the number of programmers using jal language
> >> > > > > (unfortunately, the fact that jal don't have a math library is
> >> > another
> >> > > > > obstacle regarding to "mass" adoption - the new comers  remain
> >> with
> >> > > > > basic languages and advanced people go to C language).
>
> >> > > > --
> >> > > > Sbastien Lelong
> >> > > >http://www.sirloon.net
> >> > > >http://sirbot.org
>
> >> > > --
> >> > > Sbastien Lelonghttp://www.sirloon.nethttp://sirbot.org
>
> >> > >  jaluino_sch2.png
> >> > > 56KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -
>
> >> > > - Show quoted text -
>
> >> --
> >> Sbastien Lelong
> >>http://www.sirloon.net
> >>http://sirbot.org
>
> > --
> > Sébastien Lelong
>
> >http://www.sirloon.net
> >http://sirbot.org
>
> --
> Sébastien Lelonghttp://www.sirloon.nethttp://sirbot.org
>
>  jaluino_sch3.png
> 51KViewDownload
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to