>
>
> > Looks great. I can try to prototype few part of the schematic if you
> want.
>
>
> please do, thanks


I'll do my best but it'll take time.


>
> >   - I think RC4 and RC5 should be part of connector, if no USB is used,
> we
> > can still use the use pin (this is what I called "exported pins": pins
> being
> > part of a connector and available to shields.
>
> I know but when using USB, lines must be as short as possible so no
> lose ends to a connector.


But if not using USB, you'll loose two precious pins... Is it possible to
connect RC4/RC5 to USB connector (as short as possible) and yet having them
going to the connector ?


>
>  >
> >   - I've never tested this but if we use Tinybootloader (I'd like to),
> it's
> > able to reset the PIC by setting RTS. Some hardware is required, see
> > schematics 
> > inhttp://www.etc.ugal.ro/cchiculita/software/tinybldusage.htmsection
> > "Options". Having the possibility to remotely reset the device is a
> > must IMHO. I'd need to prototype and test this on a breadboard (but I'm
> > having troubles making tiny working). I've also seen you've put a reset
> pin
> > on Power connector. What would be the usage ?
>
> Albert made a bootloader for USB in this schematic the idea is using
> USB bootloader (if working)
> or use ICSP.


Mmhh... USB bootloader is far bigger than Tinybootloader. Saves space.
Except for Jaluino Mini (18F14K50, breadboard pluggable, minimum hardware
parts), better use Tiny.


>
> If you want to use RS232 you need to make a shield and there you can
> use the RESET line (in the
> power connector ) for reseting the system with in your case RST :-).


Not necessarily if using hardware for Tiny apparently. Resetting PIC without
manual operation should be available without any shields required IMO (basic
and very useful feature).


>
> > hardware for reset tiny (instead of reset via power connector ?)
> >   - partially related to previous bullet: all the serial module I have
> have
> > RTC and CTS pins (bluetooth-serial converter and USB-serial FTDI based
> > converter). Should we add this pins to serial connector ?
>
> see above


But should we add a RTS and CTS to serial connectors in anyway ? So
available to shields ?


>
>
> >   - finally, my USB-to-serial module also is able to provide power. This
> > would give a third option to power supply:
> >
> >    1. power is taken from a wallmart power supply (jack)
> >    2. power is taken from USB connector (the one we have in our
> schematics)
> >    3. power is taken from serial module, when available (for instance,
> > available when using USB-to-serial connector)
> >
> > Is it possible to add this 3rd option ?
>
> No, serial delivers only a few mA of power this can give you lots of
> trouble if you use standard RS232


Sure, but I'm not talking about taking power from a standard RS232, but from
a USB-to-serial converter. Actually power is taken from USB.

(see this module:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/FTDI-Convertisseur-USB-a-UART-TTL-pour-ATMEL-AVR-PIC_W0QQitemZ310158443602QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFR_YO_MaisonJardin_Bricolage_ElectroniqueComposants?hash=item4836e24452&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
)



>
> >
> > (last thought: Using PIC LF versions, we can make them run at lower
> voltages
> > than 5V. My USB-to-serial converter also is able to provide 5V or 3.3V
> (and
> > many of these provide the kind of things). Will this work with 3.3V for
> > instance ?
>
> Don’t see why not, but then all of your shields must be working with
> 3.3V
> or you also need to add 5V and than every body needs to be careful not
> to blow up the anything because of mixed up power.



 OK



>
>
> >
> > > As you can see I also added a pushbutton and led so without a shield
> > > you can already work with usb, serial,i2c and do the, “blink a led”
> > > tests and have a input.
> >
> > Yes, as in original Arduino, good idea to check the board.
>
> The schematic i have from Arduino (duemilanove) only has one PB for
> reset so for there users there is no input option, but it does have a
> led your right.
> I was also thinking about placing a potentiometer for analog options
> but did not because of probably layout problems (see Alberts blog on
> 18f14K50 where we did use a potentiometer).
> But off course as I set before “use the good things from other
> Boards” :-) so were I can I will.


Sure, but the goal isn't to build a development board, but a board that
could be used in many projects. The idea is to expose as many pins as
possible, without adding any "features" or parts (except maybe a LED. I now
have doubts about a push button to test input...). Just like Arduino. On the
other side, we could have a development *shield*, with all the stuff to play
with, like pots, push buttons, more LEDs, etc... Just plug it on the board,
and play with it (would also be a nice educational shield to create
tutorials). Let's keep the main board as flexible, as versatile as possible.


>
>
> > In my first attempt to make a PCB, I've reserved a space so the chosen
> > serial module can be plugged (see bottom left part).
>
> chosen serial module ??? where can i see that module to have an idea


I do have these ones (but the idea is everyone could his own. Joep uses
other kind of serial modules IIRC):

  *
http://cgi.ebay.fr/FTDI-Convertisseur-USB-a-UART-TTL-pour-ATMEL-AVR-PIC_W0QQitemZ310158443602QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFR_YO_MaisonJardin_Bricolage_ElectroniqueComposants?hash=item4836e24452&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

(There are many FTDI-based USB-to-serial converters out there, they work all
the same... and power could be taken from this kind of module, making the
board very easy to use)

 * http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=582


Albert also suggested to build a serial module based on a 18F14K50, just to
make a conversion between USB and serial. This option would be cheaper than
a FTDI-based solution.

Finally, a real DB9 serial module with MAX232 could also be used.


Cheers,
Seb

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to