On Jan 16, 6:54 am, Sebastien Lelong <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Hi Matt, guys,
>
> Here some thoughts after trying to compile a sample to ping over SLIP, No
> UDP usage. I took 18f4620_network_ping_udp_slip.jal as a starting poing. I
> removed UDP related stuff.
>
>   - I think it's good to reduce lib usage in samples, ie. make a ping
> sample, then a udp sample, then maybe a ping + udp to show integration if
> relevant. When dealing such big stack, it's good to go step by step, and
> providing independent samples may help.
>
>   - when compiling, I got "!!!LABEL udp_read_packet NOT FOUND!!!" in the
> output. Since I don't use UDP, there's something wrong here. Maybe
> ip_header.jal, where it's used, should check for further defined const/var.

Yes, I agree and I already started work on this. Some people won't
want ICMP, some won't want UDP. Separate samples will be nice to have,
but at the moment, it is easier for me to work on one sample at a
time.

The error you are getting is because there is a prototype defined in
network_globals.

The current files in \project\networking\ have some constants for
removing protocols. I didn't put these in the proper directories since
I didn't do jallib.py validate on them yet. I put them there quick for
Kutsal

const NETWORK_USE_ICMP = TRUE -- required for ping only
const NETWORK_USE_ICMP_CALLBACKS = TRUE
--
const NETWORK_USE_UDP = TRUE -- udp can transfer your data
const NETWORK_USE_UDP_CALLBACKS = TRUE

>   - maybe ip_header.jal should also delegate higher protocol discovery to
> something higher than IP. I understand why it checkes for ICMP (IP layer),
> but I'm not sure about checking UDP (should it use transport.jal ?). Isn't
> there a kind of abstraction leak here ?

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean here.  As mentioned above, it
should not check for protocols you don't wish to use.

>   - you have to define network_destination_ip, but when you send ICMP echo,
> logic goes like (1) specify destination IP and (2) send ICMP. So, is it
> really necessary to define network dest. ip at first ?

I think it is necessary since your destination ip could change at any
time.

For example, when you get a ping from an external source, the library
has to reply, which may change destination ip (depending on who pings
you).

If you are a UDP server, your destination IP will also change if you
have more then one client.

> OK, when I get more thoughts about all of this, I'll report :)
>
> I'm trying to use USB over serial, with SLIP. By now, I've re-compiled my
> cdc-acm kernal module so it recognize CDC without protocol. I should be able
> to ping google soon. Hopefully.

I'm sure you'll ping your PC before you ping google. I actually have
not yet done ping google with SLIP yet. On linux, I think you have to
make a network bridge to see the outside world. I know it's possible
since I have read that others have done so.

Windows sucks, it assumes the SLIP connection is an internet
connection (serial modem) and therefore blocks the entire PC from
using the internet.

Sounds like I better try making a USB ping sample. I also haven't
tested slip_poll.

Matt.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.

Reply via email to