Hi Matt,

On 27.08.14 03:56, Matthew Schinkel wrote:
 > For example in the case of the max7219 libraries: it 'knows' which SPI
 > mode is the one and only right mode for the max7219, so why bother the
 > user of the max7219 with having to find out which SPI mode is the right
 > one?

I do agree that we should not bother the user with much of these things,
and I'd like to see your solution.

If I use max7219, as well as another chip that uses a different mode,
whatever is included 2nd would override the mode of the first, therefore
the first included device would not work. How should we work around
this? Are there a series of checks we can do to avoid this?

True! Many solutions are a compromise.... ;-)
When a JAL program uses 2 (or more) similar interfaces it must use 2 (or more) separate libraries. In case of SPI we have software, hardware-1 and hardware-2, and we have a similar solution for RS232. But we do not have alternatives (yet) for 2 LCD screens and other multiple devices. But who cares if there is no requirement? My max7219 library uses either software SPI or hardware-1 SPI, and I think these could be used simultaneously. I did not try. Since max7219 modules can be chained (cascaded) it seems to me not very likely that one would need two or more chains. I think we have no conflict-checks in any of the 'similar' libraries and that might also be somewhat overdone. Probably most people with 'complicated' projects are clever enough to solve or circumvent conflicts between libraries.

Regards, Rob.



--
R. Hamerling, Netherlands --- http://www.robh.nl

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/jallib.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to