On Tue, 30 Dec 2014, Albert Astals Cid wrote:

This needs to be very clear, or otherwise all discussion is useless: a KDE
project doing a fund raiser does not steal money from KDE e.V.

Obviously it does not steal money from our bank.

Again, are you saying that there's noone in the world that will think "I
already donated to this Okular fundraiser this year so i am not going to
donate to the general KDE fundraiser"?

I am saying that this is a fallacy that KDE e.V. should not base its policy on. You've made this point before, and it just doesn't work that way -- if you do fund-raising, you create your story, you do your publicity, your work, you get or fail to get your funding, and whether or not anyone else who is known to the people _you_ know are doing a fund raiser is irrelevant. You don't build policy on "you did a fund-raiser, too, so I got less money, so give me money!"

That's so extremely basic that I have no idea how to start explaining this in a more clear way, so here's a question:

You mentioned

"You say that fund raising is not a zero-sum game, that's right, and that's the reason why i said "some percentage" should be payed by the "specificly raised funds" and not 100%."

in your other answer to a mail of mine. That basically boils down to imposing a KDE e.V. tax to projects in the KDE community that raise funds for their project.

Is that your own idea, or does that reflect the trend of thought of the board?

Ultimately, the answer to that question, of whether KDE will impose a fund-raising tax, forbid fund-raising, keep supporting projects that do fund-raising or do something else I cannot think of now will determine, will be vital. It'll mean projects will have to start do sums, cold-heartedly.

But, to come back to the beginning: your contention that KDE e.V is missing out on money because people donating to Okular aren't donating to KDE e.V. is bogus. It's household economics: my living-in kid is earning some extra money in their saturday job in a shop, so they should start paying rent. It's not real-world economics.

Projects that raise money for development are making KDE bigger.

Boudewijn