rkflx added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D10245#199688, @ngraham wrote:

  > I don't think almost any users use or know about that because the two most
obvious methods of adding something to the Places panel--drag-and-drop and the
file's "Add to places" context menu item--make it global by default.

  Users adding custom entries has nothing to do with your patch. If a users
adds a place and it appears everywhere, well that's his problem. Your patch
adds it everywhere //for every user//, which is what I disagree with.

  > Also if we add Music and Pictures et al to just Dolphin by default, then
they're not going to show up in the file open/save dialogs where they're
useful, right?

  See comment above. I doubt Kate's users want to see Pictures. I agree that
some apps would want to opt-in, not sure how to do that. I think the best thing
would be to make this mimetype dependent: If the file dialog detects you want
to open/save Music files, it should add "Music" to the standard model. That
would be an addition to the file dialog though, not where you are currently
changing it. Do we have a resident file dialog expert around we could ask about
that?

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO

To: ngraham, #frameworks, #dolphin