Giving an unproven device with unknown ability to reject EM radiation etc
direct access to a control surface seems like a terrible idea.

Add a stick trim control - let it control that, so you're always 100%
guaranteed you can override it. As it's acting against the centering of
your stick not the actual control surface.

RC hardware is based on PPM signals but this would be an awesome project
for something like an Arduino/Teensy/ etc with one of the small and
inexpensive 9DOF gyro breakout boards. And that would let you use multiple
gyros for redundancy, but still go back to inexpensive RC sevos for the
drive.

My .02$