Having been one to throw crazy ideal in rc planes before they were possible
to buy... I do know a thing or two about it.

EM radiation - simple - mags kick off this neat effect that can screw up
nearby electronics. So do radios etc. So using something homebuilt in
electronics - can introduce this lovely issue where those signals get taken
in as a sensor input instead of noise if there's not appropriate shielding
etc used.

PPM is the electronic signal sent to servos (at least rc variety) to make
them work.

The easy way to do it would be to use something like
https://solarbotics.com/product/23226/
Attached to a plain old Arduino, it becomes almost cut and paste to code it
for autopilot duty (basis of all quadcopter and most RC with gyro flight
systems these days)

But then I saw this is actually available now - and that's way more awesome.
https://solarbotics.com/product/52066/
On a teensy LC - would be splendid! (Also near cut and paste for
programming)

Anyway, never like throwing control over to an independent device, yes you
can always overpower a trim tab - but that doesn't mean you'll recognize
the issue immediately. Your control being off center is more obvious in my
eye than a unknown source of pitch that's independent from your direct
controls - make sense?

So if it's added in cockpit as part of a trim system - it functions, it's
overrided easily, and likely close at hand if it's really screwing up and
needing physical disconnection.

My .02