On 6/19/2020 8:15 PM, Flesner via KRnet wrote:
 Airplane parts are where you find them.  I guess I ought to take photos of all that to document it.
Larry Flesner

After my post on "airplane parts are where you find them" I got to thinking you might think I'm flying a "junk yard".  I got in my first KR flight today after a 3 week lay off and flew to Mt.Vernon for breakfast. Having a camera on my hip now, after abandoning my philosophy of life ( flip phones, tailwheels, and round gauges) , I'm carrying my grandsons hand-me-down smart phone and I took some photos.

The first two are of the gullwing door latch.  Nylon from Dollar General store cutting board.  Rod is the 3/16" rod use to line the tail hinges.  Geometry directly off the back of the pickup truck topper, rods attached 3/4" off center of pivot.  Washers welded to rod ends and re-shaped for attachment. Handle pivots through nylon block in door.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrrxe7nca70zl49/image000000-1.jpg?dl=0 front latch

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxpos54022pebri/image000000%20copy.jpg?dl=0 rear latch

This is my P51 style throttle using a portion of mop handle.  It is located so my hand falls naturally on the handle.  My palm rests on the housing and the handle is moved with finger action. Very smooth and precise.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jclba8zdu3sefbp/image000000-2.jpg?dl=0

This is my "candy machine" strobe lenses.  Both strobes (Radio Shack $29 units) are toast after 700 hours and won't be replaced. My new ADS-B out wing tip unit will have a strobe and I'll buy a strobe for the other wing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0bo7vq70qqnlmw/image000000-5.jpg?dl=0

Gas spring off pickup topper.  Perfect length and pressure.  Also note the rod end bearing used for hinges that came directly off a high volume Xerox machine.  Your free to "copy" that design if you wish.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1sno1rx7vo7qmyr/image000000-5%20copy.jpg?dl=0

Right rudder pedals using bracing material from a discarded lawn chair.  It just looked right.  Also note, with the top mounted pedals I can stretch my feet between the pedals at cruse , thus the muddy foot print on the firewall.  It's like setting in my recliner and enjoying the view.  View of left pedal shows master cylinder assembly attach to pedal and all moves as one assembly, no funny geometry to the floor.  Half round wood strip is to keep me from dragging break except when I want to.  Simply rotate foot to toe brake. Also note the gusset on top of the pilot right pedal.  This broke after about 500 hours or so on the ramp at Langfords hangar.  He repaired and I later had it reinforced some more.  Very important for tail dragges as you get a lot of flex on the ground.  Probably a non-issue for nose draggers as it only see rudder air loads. Heel slides are pre-packaged .015 tin from the hardware store attached with supper thin "carpet tape".  Just open the package and apply.  They haven't moved in 15 years of flying. Wiring on firewall is a 12 volt fan from a battery charger attached with screws to the firewall over the passive cabin heat duct.  Open the duct, turn on the fan and I've got heat directly off the exhaust muff.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/igceovjb6hdk8fh/image000000-6.jpg?dl=0

And last, what I normally see at cruse.  150 / 155 mph indicated at 2400 to 2500 rpm cruse.  I have no idea of true airspeed but if you want to figure it was 88 degrees F, 30.02 barometer, humidity 49% and  3750 feet altitude.  You can see the 0-200 runs good oil pressure 40+ pounds at 200 degrees (with no oil cooler) and my one and only monitored cylinder was running 300 degrees F.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/03zlotbaz2j6fmi/image000000-4.jpg?dl=0

I hope this didn't waste too much of your evening.

Larry Flesner

Southern Illinois