On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Joseph Jacks <jacks....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks! I do hear you, Tim --- however, I find that such an experiment is
> worthy in the face of the challenges the project has in this area. Why not
> have both extrinsic and intrinsic, then see what happens?

That was the point of the study.  Intrinsic motivators alone ("help
make the world a better place") were MORE effective than combined
motivators ("help make the world a better place, and here's 100 bucks
for your effort").

> Would love more feedback.

Something I wanted to do but fell off my plate is to set up a kube
"janitors" effort.  This has been pretty effective in the Linux
kernel, finding ways for people who didn't know the whole kernel to
contribute, clean up, and earn an identity ("I'm on the kernel
janitors team!"), and take a ton of tasks off the backlog.  It needs a
rally point, a website, a logo, and some serious effort cataloging
initial work items.

> On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Tim Hockin <thoc...@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> Curiously, I was JUST listening to a radio piece exploring the effects
>> of intrinsic and extrinsic motivators.  It is well understood that
>> "common purpose" and "for the greater good" (intrinsic motivators) are
>> more effective than money and stuff (extrinsic motivators).  The
>> interesting part was that the addition of an extrinsic motivator to a
>> situation which was already intrinsically motivated REDUCED the net
>> motivation.
>>
>> So we should be careful that applying money to our community doesn't
>> change it from a righteous mission into a low-paying job.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Lucas Käldström <lu...@luxaslabs.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Adding kubernetes-dev and kubernetes-maintainers...

>> > --

  • [kubernetes-u... Joseph Jacks
    • [kuberne... Joseph Jacks
    • [kuberne... Lucas Käldström
      • Re: ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
        • ... Joseph Jacks
          • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
            • ... Joseph Jacks
              • ... 'Daniel Smith' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
                • ... Joseph Jacks
                • ... lucas
                • ... lucas
                • ... 'David Aronchick' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
                • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
                • ... Alexis Richardson