I'm not against trying it, I just have my own predictions.  I agree
with Aronchick - the biggest issue we have is not that we need more
people - we need better (more actionable) bugs, we need onramps, we
guidance and reviews, and we need to make contributing hurt less
(rebases, verify and update scripts, staging, etc).

For people to do THAT work, I'd pay out of my own pocket.

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 11:23 AM, 'David Aronchick' via Kubernetes
developer/contributor discussion <kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com>
wrote:
> [...]
>>> school.
>>>    People that want to work full-time on Kubernetes could be in the list
>>> to get job offers regularily from people posting to the list. That's one
>>> use-case for the list.
>>>
>>> It shouldn't go unsaid that thanks to being able to do contracting I can
>>> work on K8s as my summer-time job (but I'm not doing contracting right now
>>> when dealing with these community matters, this is my hobby)
>>> I can't say my motivation has declined, rather I'm more motivated than
>>> ever to do more good to the K8s ecosystem than I would be able to do
>>> otherwise.
>>>
>>> Scenario 2: A general contributor that works for the greater good
>>>
>>>  - The most interesting part here IMO is the charity and marketplace
>>> aspects though. As Joseph also pointed out earlier here, you can choose to
>>> donate all the to you transferred funds directly to a charity of your
>>> choice, currently you can choose between CoinCenter, Black Girls Code,
>>> Folding At Home, Code To Inspire.
>>>  - To me, being able to help people that are using the 21 list to
>>> escalate important (support as well as non-support) issues while donating
>>> those $5 or so dollars to help Afghan women learn to code is truly
>>> motivational.
>>>
>>> Note: The person that takes the money (which you referred to -- accepting
>>> the extrinsic motivation) maybe isn't the person that would work for the
>>> greater good in the first place. I think the person that contributes to K8s
>>> for the intrinsic motivation is very likely to boost the intrinsic
>>> motivation by using the charity option.
>>>
>>> Scenario 3: A person that hasn't been involved in K8s very much so far
>>> but sees his/her chance to earn some dollars
>>>
>>> This person doesn't seem to recognize the intrinsic motivation related to
>>> OSS projects and didn't contribute really to K8s before.
>>> Now he/she does contribute and gets some dollars in return. Let him take
>>> those bucks, he probably needs them in that case.
>>>

>>> Further ideas:
>>>
>>> I've been experimenting with the tought of providing a CNCF sponsor HTTP
>>> service in the 21 marketplace (https://21.co/mkt/). It would basically be a
>>> way to donate the bitcoins you've earned from completing microtasks on 21 to
>>> different areas of CNCF. Each API call costs a little money, and the
>>> CNCF-backed service would just charge a dollar or two, add your name to a
>>> CNCF individual sponsors list and let you choose what to donate money for.
>>>
>>> Imagine anyone being able to issue a command like this (or do it via the
>>> 21 web interface)
>>>
>>> 21 buy "cncf/sponsor/diversity_scholarship"
>>>

>>> and the API service will put your name on a list next to the total amount
>>> you've paid (adds up on every API call). Now you've donated to CNCF
>>> diversity scholarship recipients!
>>> And as the 21 ecosystem grows, it might be possible to choose CNCF
>>> instead of the four above mentioned charities automatically...

  • [kubernetes-u... Lucas Käldström
    • Re: [kub... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
      • Re: ... Joseph Jacks
        • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
          • ... Joseph Jacks
            • ... 'Daniel Smith' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... Joseph Jacks
              • ... lucas
              • ... lucas
              • ... 'David Aronchick' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... Alexis Richardson
              • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... Alexis Richardson
              • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... 'Brian Grant' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... Justin Santa Barbara
              • ... quacken1983
              • ... Ryan Quackenbush
          • ... 'Brian Grant' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A