Waxing thread for sewing goes back a good many years - probably hundreds -and
was a standard *must do* for buttonholes, especially heavy 'tailored'
garments.  They were done with linen, cotton or silk thread depending on
fashion and
fabric.  I'm sure that if it caused the thread to rot away after even quite a
while it would have been spotted at some stage, and have become common
knowledge.  It was used to strengthen the stitches long term, not to weaken
them.

Waxing the silk thread is also a normal thing to do for Goldwork embroidery.
As a lot of the heirloom style church vestments are embellished with
Goldwork, once more I think it would have been discovered by now if bees' wax
is not
good for silk thread long term.

Although I don't think it's something we use much in lacemaking, I do know
that at least some of the 'disappearing' ink type pens (that quilters use to
draw the stitching lines on fabric), weaken the fibre and long term have left
damage on quilts.  As this takes some while to show up, I hope that the more
modern pens no longer have this effect.  As I write this, I am wondering what
Tamara and others were using to draw their designs on the tulle (net?) for
tambouring, and if this is the same sort of thing.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire