Tamera asked....

"How much interest is there, *among the IOLI members*, in reproductions
of old plaited laces (in thread or in wire or both)? I know
SCA-affiliated lacemakers might be interested, because, with their
cut-off date being 1600, their sources of patterns, especially BL ones,
are severely limited (2 published books as far as I know, and there are
many patterns in both which had not yet been re-done for modern
consumption). But, how big is the cross-over between "straight"
lacemakers and SCA ones?"

I personally don't have (at this time) much interest in recreating
authentic lace for SCA.   However..... I once mentioned to an old friend
that I knew how to make bobbin lace.  Her eyes lit up and she squeeled
"You do?"   She loves to dress up for renaissance festivals.  We chatted
briefly about the possibilty of making lace for one of her costumes.
Since we don't live in the same state the discussion went no further.  I
decided later that it would be easier to teach her to make bobin lace
than for me to make yards and yards of a plaited lace!

As a lacer you never know when you might come across someone who is
interested in period lace.  It would be nice to know that some of this
research has been done and available in an IOLI bulletin for when we
might need it.  I know I could put it to use!

Thanks!Anita HansenCedar Rapids, Iowa